In 1949, Bill and Lena Faye Kovener opened a small soft-serve ice cream store in Seymour, Indiana. While the tiny brick building has become well-known for its delicious ice cream, its history is much richer than its frozen treats. Owned by Lena Faye's parents, the store had its humble beginnings as a 3-pump Standard Oil Gasoline station. When the state road was relocated in the early 1930's, the station was converted into a convenient store selling bread, milk, and other goods to local residents. During this time Bill and Lena Faye were traveling the country, as Bill served with the Army Air Corps during the Second World War. Returning home, the couple took a risk and opened Kovener's Korner ice cream, one of Seymour's very first drive-in restaurants. The small brick building with its green roof, red brick, and yellow striped awning is easily passed by, but those whose curiosity has caused them to stop and visit have not left disappointed. Locally famous for their Chocolate Malt ice cream, a recipe that is still used today, Kovener's has become a summertime tradition for many Seymour residents young and old.
While Bill and Lena Faye have since passed, their legacy and most importantly their ice cream recipe lives on. The Kovener Family still owns and operates the small store on 2nd Street, proudly continuing the work that began so long ago. Open throughout the summer months customers can choose from over a dozen ice cream flavor favorites as well as a wide selection of shakes, floats, and other delicious frozen desserts. We pride ourselves not only for our ice cream but for creating an environment in which our customers can create memories for a lifetime. We would like to acknowledge all those who have helped us to become the successful small business that we are today. We couldn't be who we are without our loyal summer employees of all ages, dedicated managers past and present, and the devoted 3rd generation of Koveners.